Advanced International Training Program: Integrated Sustainable Coastal Development (ISCD)
The project aims to contribute to an integrated sustainable development of coastal zones (lakes and sea coast) in which the needs and rights of poor people are taken into account. This was achieved through supporting processes of change in key organizations working with planning and management of coastal zones. The project ultimately ensured
- Increased understanding of the importance and benefits of good governance in an integrated sustainable coastal planning and management for socioeconomic development, with respect to environmental impact, poverty alleviation and equality, in a livelihood; security and rights perspective.
- Increased knowledge about the planning process for an integrated sustainable coastal development.
- Increased knowledge about experiences, methods and tools for organizational change in general and within coastal zone management in particular.
- Extended regional and national networks for working with coastal development.
NIRAS through SWEDISH INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION AGENCY (SIDA) and University of Gothenburg
- Hosting experts from five Arab countries (Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine and Jordan), to study the key issues related to the Integrated Sustainable Coastal Development at Aqaba. Findings were discussed in front of officials and stakeholders.
- Hosting experts in sustainable development for successive training courses of the group of experts from the region for five consecutive years
- A group of distinguished experts capable of creating a change in the Integrated Sustainable Coastal Development at the regional level.